Thursday, June 16, 2011

The True Value

Recently, I worked on digital project that through me for a loop. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't something crazy, never been done before-it was actually pretty easy (or should've been). But I was trying to fit my "work" in between 1 nap (estimated-1.5 hrs), then finish after our toddler fell asleep.

Yeah, well let's just say, it took me longer than I thought -and things were bugging out a bit. The job that I originally thought I could do in 2 hrs max, took 2 days (over 2 naps, and 1 night, + 2 hrs of a sitter).


All of a sudden, I started to think about how people value the work I was doing vs. the work of watching a child. Here I was in front of a computer, changing some design elements to a website, updating content, creating a calendar -and I thought about what in my past life my work would have been billed at for this work. Seriously, way more than a Babysitter or a Nanny.

Then I thought about my own recent questions about what sitters charge these days.

So, do I value web production, marketing, etc higher than watching our daughter? NO.
Raising our daughter is the hardest, rewarding, exhausting job I've ever had. I am always tired, I'm eating food scraps (of hers btw!) off the floor, I'm cleaning 24/7, I'm always dirty.... and can't even squeeze in a small digital job in between it all. I've honestly, never worked harder and never felt so under appreciated by society. I'm not complaining. I wouldn't change it for anything. I'm just saying...

So maybe it is time I revalue the going rate of sitters, and lower my going rate any digital work.


Related: How does your country sum up with Maternity leave? I mean, doesn't this say it all in how the US values being a parent?

No comments:

Post a Comment