Wednesday, January 22, 2014

learning

This past Monday, MLK day, was our family day. The holiday craziness was over. Work had started back in full force for my husband. Our daughter was back in preschool 4xs a week. The holiday decor was taken down and put away (okay, sorta. All unorganized in the garage….) No work/no school.

So we decided to head to a park we don't normally visit,  and explore the outdoors, on trails, in the forest.

One of the amazing things of the PNW is the weather. Yes, I know...the weather. It changes on the drop of the dime here and this Monday, it changed from cold and gray to cold and blue. Blue on a January day is a gift btw. And it stayed blue.

So this Monday, as a family of three with no iPhone texting, we walked on trails looking for the beach in this park with blue skies all around. We found a trail that took us on many park maintained tiny bridges of creeks leading to the beach. And my husband said,

"Let's follow a leaf boat!"

A leaf boat?

I didn't grow up in here. I grew up in a hot, humid place where being outside usually meant was in dry or humid in warm places. Creeks? Sure, but I didn't play in them - or float leaf boats.

So on this day, my man took a cool looking leaf and tried to float it under the bridge to see if it would float under the bridge to the other side.

This whole thing touched me. Yes, it was just a leaf floating down the creek, but to our daughter it was a fairy boat heading to the fairy forest. It was something she probably will always remember. It was something only her Dad could teach her, and teach me.

It reminded me that he and I will forever be teaching her things from our own perspective and teaching each other. I can't wait to find another creek….

No comments:

Post a Comment