Saturday, March 15, 2014

Fish out of water.

I'm part fish. No, I'm not a mermaid (though our 4-year-old daughter would LOVE it if I were…) I just feel at home, at peace in the water. It's my church. At first it was splashing in baths, pools, then the ocean, lakes, moving to swimming for fun and competitively for many of my years from 8-19. I love being IN the water, NEAR water, ONE with the water.

I started surfing at 30 years old after watching, reading, following surfers since I was 14. I finally got the (insert word for female balls here) to try it out. I'd been in love with the sport for too long and decided to take the plunge literally-and do it. Once I was on my first board, I was hooked. I knew it was my place.

After a short time living near the beach and surfing daily, my then boyfriend now husband and I decided to move to the PNW from San Diego to further our careers. San Diego was not the place for growth for either of us - though our surfing was improving daily…

Now 7 years later, surrounded by water I'm starting to get really stir crazy. Yes, sure, I could surf here in Washington or Oregon, but it's a long trip for surf that could change it's conditions during that drive and no matter what will freeze by (insert word for female balls here) off. The few times we've gone in Washington it's been gorgeous, empty, fun yet FREEZING waves. After 2 years of surfing year round in NY, I've officially retired my 6/4/3, booties, and gloves.

So I'm looking for a new water sport to quench my thirst. Next week, I'm checking out Seattle Outriggers - to be one with the water again. I'm not sure how this will feel for me and if it will be enough to help me through this journey, but it's my latest attempt at my ever changing outlook on my life and become the person I want to be. Something like the ocean that changes daily, hard to predict, and a piece of who I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment